Tuesday, April 29, 2008

thinking...

so i've totally been thinking out loud and this is one of my many thoughts. i want to start some sort of online business... i am, of course, interested in making some money while i stay at home with my children but i also love to craft and make things and thought it would be a fun way to start a business... doing stuff that i really enjoy and love.

i have made a few tag blankets for my son and one for my friends daughter (also my god-daughter) and a few for Lauren and Brooke each. they have come out very cute and my kids all loved them, especially the girls. :) i think this would be something i could and possibly would market and sell as a product... the only problem is there are other places making and selling these, so maybe i could start out local and smallish and build up... and i was also thinking of making some things like scrapbooks that are already done with pages and all so that you can give it as a gift or buy it yourself and only have to add pictures and a few lines of information and dates. and maybe some other products along the lines of thank you card bundles, that are hand stamped and also maybe some baby announcements, save the dates, and other things like that... all hand made.

so these are my random thoughts and ramblings about them... i think i have to really figure some more things out...
if anyone has any ideas and or suggestions on this plan that i have, on any parts of it... if you think an online business is easy or hard to start up and how you think it would do, and also about the products themselves and all that... i'm open to any and all suggestions and comments... i'd love to hear any one's input.

i'm off to think some more...

10 comments:

jenn said...

What is a tag blanket? Can you post a picture?

I don't know anything about online businesses, but wish you lots of luck!

Allie said...

Hmmmmmmm, I have no idea about any of this but it should be easy to start. Just start small and build on it, just like everything else in life.

Lindsey said...

I have zero suggestions. Sorry, but I am wishing you tons of luck:)

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you have a couple of good ideas to build on.

Texasholly said...

Sounds good. Just make sure that you will be actually making money on whatever you decide on. Maybe stop by a local baby store boutique and see what they are in need of. I love the tag blankets and have given them as gifts. The ones I bought were locally made and different from the ones you see at Babies R Us, etc.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what a tag blanket is! Agree with Jenn...post a picture!

Speaking from someone who loves taking pictures but has no freaking time to ever do anything with them, the idea of pre-made scrapbook pages is a HUGE appeal to me. I would totally be interested in something like that - it would motivate me to actually do something with my work, but not get bogged down in the entire creative process.

just jamie said...

I love tag blankies.

And I can't give you any suggestions because that would be giving away all of my ideas... he he ... like ... um, well, okay I don't know. But I wish you well.

Momisodes said...

Wow Jenn! This sounds like a great idea :) I know of a mom who makes handmade announcements, invitations, etc too. There is certainly a market for these things. HAve you given any thought to selling online on places like eBay?

Angela said...

What a great idea, Jenn!

Mmm, I have been brainstorming for quite some time on how to make a few extra dollars when I become a SAHM this summer. I think crafts are the perfect idea because they make great gifts and not everyone has the time to make them. One website that I have looked at is etsy.com. They do charge a listing fee but I forgot what it is. To get more ideas, I am thinking of going to a craft store to peruse the books and magazines. Exciting stuff!

And...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, and THANK YOU for the kind words you've left me! They mean so much - you have no idea! I am excited beyond words and doing much better at staying positive now! :)

Susan Z said...

Be careful about "patents" on ideas. I don't have an online business but I know there is information on the irs.gov website and the stuff about a "hobby to make money" might be helpful. You should also check out online companies that will market things for you. A friend of mine does artwork that is put on things and available through a website.

~ Hi. Glad you stopped by. Come on in, kick off your shoes, put your feet up relax, grab a drink and stay a while. ~